Lake Brunner School and Community
Lake Brunner School is situated in the township of Moana, which is located 30 kilometres northeast of Greymouth. Moana overlooks the picturesque Lake Brunner and impressive mountains of the Southern Alps.
Lake Brunner School is a decile 7, co educational, state school, catering for years 1 to 8. The new Lake Brunner School (2005) is a merger of Lake Brunner School, Rotomanu School and Otira children who had previously attended Arthur’s Pass School.
The school buildings have been developed and refurbished providing an excellent learning and working environment. The school grounds are spacious with spectacular views of the lake and surrounding mountains. The playground is used by the community, especially in the holiday periods.
Lake Brunner School Values:
The updated (January 2019) School Values are in response to community and student voice, as well as research on essential traits for life.
The School Values draw on imagery in the school logo and are represented in the following chant that children say with actions on a regular basis. They are emphasised and celebrated in classrooms, whole school learning and in community communication.
We choose to do the right thing, we’re respectful and kind.
We are curious, self-disciplined, we always aim high.
We are active in community, we have the power to -
Make the lives of others better in the things we choose to do.
Students are placed in three houses, Kehu, Raureka and Brunner. Each house is named after a local historic figure who exemplified a range of our school values.
Our School Vision
is to develop successful learners, confident and connected with the curriculum, themselves and others.
Our whole learning community contributed to this profile of a successful student. This Year 8 student has been at Lake Brunner School for a number of years and he or she…
- is a positive role model
- has an ethic of citizenship and strong sense of community spirit
- has an attitude of respect and friendliness to all students, teachers, parents and visitors to the school
- is an ambitious, motivated and active learner in class and life
- shows respect for the environment and school facilities
- is a confident communicator in a range of different situations (listening, speaking and written)
- is digitally immersed, adept, inquiring and enterprising
- is a creative, higher order thinker
- is a self-regulated learner who can establish goals and work out how to achieve them
- has a healthy positive attitude to life (physical, mental and spiritual) and considers their own wellbeing
- has a growth mindset, is a risk taker, perseveres and shows resilience
- has been exposed to quality learning experiences so they have the knowledge to go forward into their secondary education confidently
- is ready to leave Lake Brunner School, and is excited about the opportunities offered in their new school and life.